In the past few weeks I’ve read a lot of "I’m not a resolution person" posts, so much so I felt a little weird writing this out, but the truth is, I am. I love goals. And I do well with goals. So, me being me, wanted to do a post on goals.
But first, let’s talk about the past few years’ goals:
- On October 21st, 2009 I declared I wanted to run a “full marathon.” I still remember the fear & excitement as I typed that post up.
- In 2010 I joined a marathon running club and became very dedicated to my marathon training schedule. Something just clicked: if you set a goal, you have to, ummm, actually get off your ass and do something to achieve it.
- On October 10, 2010 I ran the Chicago marathon in 5:40
- On December 5, 2010 I ran the Las Vegas marathon in 5:30
- Knee injuries held me back from a spring marathon, but still, I signed up for the Autumn Berlin marathon and started training my heart out.
- I nearly became obsessed with running. Well, obsessed for me.
- And I got faster.
- I ran the majority of my training runs (including two 37km (20 milers) at a 4h 30min marathon finish time pace, and felt strong, and fast.
- I then ran the Berlin marathon in 5:10 (and I was disappointed - silly me!)
- I moved to Melbourne and tried to get back into running after a traveling (& eating) for a few months
- I ran the Great Ocean Road 23k race (14 miler) and Melbourne Half Marathon, but both very slowly (for me).
- Running was not my priority this year, but rather CrossFit was.
- I was terrified of CrossFit at first and knew absolutely nothing about it, but joined it anyways (go me!)
- And I went from hoping I’d go at least 3 times a week, to rarely going less than 5 (again, go me!)
- I became addicted to CrossFit (seriously, I am) and in the span of 9 months went from not being able to squat properly, to doing front/back squats, snatching, rowing, double unders, pull/push ups, etc.
So, to summarize:
- 2009 – Started Running
- 2010 – Obsessed with running
- 2011 – Obsessed with running
- 2012 – Obsessed with CrossFit
- And 2013? The year of balance.
(After a lot of thought) here are my formal 2013 goals:
- Marathon < 5 hours: This is self explanatory; Chicago 2013 - who’s in?
- Paleo-Eating: Master eating a primal lifestyle at least 80% of the time. Have two strict months of paleo eating this year (like last September)
- CrossFit: Continue CrossFitting at least 4 times/week
(I’ll be joining the Liberty Village Reebok CrossFit in Toronto) and do at least one hand-stand this year. (I’ve never in my life done a hand stand!)
- Lose Weight: I don’t want to run another marathon over weight (or do CrossFit either). It’s just silly and makes the whole process a lot harder. I’m not aiming to hit “125” this year, but I’m definitely aiming to be in the 140s.
- Travel: My desire to travel has significantly decreased (or at least, my desire to do big, epic trips has), so I really want to make sure that, despite wanting to stay put, I enjoy New Zealand & Australia’s East Coast. I am so fortunate I get to travel, and chances are this will be my last go-as-I-please travel experience, so I need to sit back, relax & enjoy it.
- Toronto: I’m pretty terrified of Toronto. Moving home after nearly 2 years away seems like a one-way ticket to rut/depression-ville (cough missing Matt cough). My goal is to ensure this does not happen. Toronto will be what I make it; and I want to make it great - but I know this will take a lot of work.
Do you have any 2013 goals? Want to join me in my quest for a sub-5 marathon? A little weight loss? Or to eat paleo strictly for a month? Let me know!