Week 2: Paleo Challenge Review
This week. My oh my, what can I say about Week 2? It seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye, and? And it’s been easy, hard, and really, really annoying at times, but overall kinda awesome.
- The hard: I’m out of the honeymoon phase, that’s for sure. I have had some intense carb & sugar cravings, and for lack of a better word, they’ve SUCKED. I’ve had afternoons where I just wanted to BITE into something (cough bread cough), or just wanted to go buy a treat and feel sugar on my tongue. Jeesh, I feel like a food addict writing this out… OH WAIT. And, of course, my post the other night needs to be mentioned - being social on Paleo is quite possible, but I don’t think I’m there yet. But soon children, soon.
- The annoying: Paleo is still a lot of effort. When you get home at 11pm, exhausted from the day, and still have to prep your lunch the next day, it’s just plain frustrating. So many nights I just wanted to fall into bed, but there I stood in my kitchen, cooking my lunch for the next day. I do, however, believe with time I’ll get better at this. As I type this, my chicken and steak kebabs are on the grill getting cooked for my lunch tomorrow.
- The easy: The food!! I have yet to get bored from my cooking (& my cooking skills aren’t too stellar). Wa-freaking-hooooo! It’s because I’ve been putting a lot of effort into spicing up my meals. Literally. I’ve learned so much about spices and herbs lately - they can make or break my meals, and make repetitive meals, not-that-repetitive. Thumbs up for curry spice. Also, thumbs up for paleomg.com.
- The other: Fruit. I am oh-so-very sadly consuming too much fruit. Or at least I think I am. Granted when I get into one of those, “nom nom nom I just want to bite into something” modes, I will eat fruit, but I think I need to cut down to 2 pieces a day max; at least 5 of the 7 days. Oh, and slowly, but surely I am coming around to the taste of coconut milk, which I think is crucial to the paleo diet.
- I’ll let the chart do the talking, but I definitely see why people say NOT to weigh themselves every day. It’s so discouraging when you see that little number go up (even if it’s only 100grams (0.22 pounds)).
- Please note that I’m weighing myself everyday more to record the stats for a graph at the end, than anything else.
Weight summary: down 7 pounds (3.2kg) in 14 days. My clothes are 100% fitting looser too - I ran for my train today and had to hold up my jeans. Yay!
- I GOT MY FIRST EVER DOUBLE-UNDER THIS WEEK!!!! What’s a “double under,” you ask? It’s when you are jump-rope skipping and let the rope go under your feet twice on one jump. They’re all about rhythm and good wrists, and both of mine suck. I was thrilled when I got one!
- The below was my CrossFit week:
So, is it sustainable?
- That’s the big question, isn’t it? From seeing paleo change many lives permanently (through blogs and my friends at CrossFit), I would say it is 100% possible to incorporate paleo as a lifestyle.
- But for me? It’ll definitely take time. I am on the whole (really!!) enjoying it, but I have also stayed very on top of things… I know eventually life would get in the way and it’ll come down to mind over convenience (as it always does with weight loss). So for now I know this: I like the food paleo offers, I have never felt deprived on this “diet,” I’m losing weight, feeling healthy & happy, and leading a better life all around, so it’s a win-win-win situation. So much so, I think I may extend this “challenge” until the New Year, wanna do it with me? We shall see, we shall see :)
Lunch today with the lovely Miss Katie on this hot-hot SPRING day. Excited to see what the the weather this summer brings.